Ad Radar
Facebook Click here to find out more!

Swap info: JDM in EG Civic but Smog Legal in California?

Item Posts    Sort Order

Swap info: JDM in EG Civic but Smog Legal in California?

cafrog cafrog
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/07/08
06:51 PM

I am writing in hopes of gaining some knowledge on all the JDM motor swap capabilities. I have a '92 hatch si and have owned it since '96. I put an LS swap in it back in '98, (SMOG LEGAL), but want a different set up now. Don't want the LS/VTEC or B20/VTEC. Ideally, I want ITR swap but its expensive. I would settle for a OBD1 GSR or OBD1 B16 out of a del sol. I write this b/c the availability of these USDM motors/swaps is getting scarce. And I feel the majority of them have been treated like a Vegas Call Girl on the Strip, (aka have been rode hard and put away wet). I know many 99 civic coupe si's were treated like crap, (back in '99 when they were brand spankin' new), and not even broke in before they hit the 1/4 mile strip only to hit low 16's with intake and exhaust, (what a joke). That's an idiot owner and have first hand knowledge of good break ins and time slips to prove it. Okay, I digress, JDM motors seem to be in abundance and I was hoping someone could fill me in on the capabilities in converting them to be smog legal in CA. They're really bossy about what is and isn't smog legal, (if you're from here and are an enthusiast, you know what I am writing about). Any intelligent and knowledgeable input would be greatly appreciated.

CAFROG  

ptieu ptieu
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/10/08
10:24 AM

As far as I'm aware, and engine swap will be smog legal as long as the engine is newer than the chassis.  

cafrog cafrog
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 09/08
Posted: 09/13/08
12:52 PM

There are differences....I'm pretty sure of that. The B18 vtec in the US is less horsepower stock (in comparison to the JDM version) and I think its in the head but I'm not sure.