Facebook Click here to find out more!

Turbo Problems

Item Posts    Sort Order

Turbo Problems

Cyl.mischief Cyl.mischief
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 07/11
Posted: 07/28/11
08:31 PM

I'm new here so first and foremost I would like to say hello to the community.

Now to the fun stuff.  I have a 87 Thunderbird TC 2.3 Turbo on top of a BW T5 5 speed manual.  It seems like I don't have an exhaust leak pre-turbo, I checked the WG and it seems to be functioning properly but I can't get my turbo to spool over 6 pounds with my MBC's and it only boosts to 15 pounds@5000rpm with the WG vacuum line unplugged.  With it unplugged the turbo should be screaming maxed out at 4000rpms.  It still has the factory IHI turbo with internal WG.  The only mods to the car is a MBC and a 3" down pipe, 3"high flow cat, 3" to dual 2.5" Y pipe and a pair of Jones Full boar turbo tube mufflers.  It worked fine @ 15 pounds with no exhaust and just the stock 2.25 downpipe.  I checked all of my vacuum lines, no leaks.  No intake leaks.  There is a very slight valve cover leak and my valves need to be tightened down a little, but only because they tick, nothing to bad.

So with a BC on it's capped at 6 pounds... no BC it can boost just extremely slow.  Please, any insight would help.  I'm at my wits end.